Published in Sideroads of Halton Hills
Special thanks to Jim Waldbusser
Familiar names hold a history that enriches our sense of home and deepens the feeling of belonging.
Sir Donald Mann had an Acton park named after him, as well as the Mann Cup, the trophy emblematic of senior lacrosse supremacy in Canada. These gestures honour the memory of a local boy who achieved fame and fortune, and who was knighted in 1911 for his achievements.
When Mann was born in 1853, Canada had yet to become a nation (1867) but he was destined to be one of its architects by helping to build the railway that would unite the country from coast-to-coast.
Starting out as a seminary student, Mann never abandoned his spiritual beliefs, but soon realized his true calling as an entrepreneur, after working in lumber camps in Ontario and … DOWNLOAD FULL ARTICLE
Published in: Sideroads of Halton Hills
Driving over the Credit River that lazily winds its way under three bridges in Glen Williams, it’s hard to imagine that this gentle waterway once hydro-powered three industrial mills which established the village in the 19th century.
One of those mills is still a local landmark at the north end of Main Street. The Beaumont Knitting Mill “knitted underwear yarns and a high grade of ladies and gentlemen’s worsted and cashmere hosiery,” (The Toronto Daily Mail, 1893,) and exported worldwide into the 20th century.
On the north side of the building, facing Main Street, a heritage plaque reads, “Joseph Tweedle (as in Tweedle Street) ran a saw mill on this site in the 1860s. The present building (is) c. 1872, was built by Richard Hurst and purchased in 1878 by Samuel Beaumont.”
The large limestone building, with mansard roof and dormer windows, is now Beaumont Mill Antiques and Collectibles where, for the past six years, Peter Arsenault and his 35 vendors
have made the historic building a favorite haunt … Download Full Article